Banzai Karate’s Chinook Park Dojo will be closed until further notice. During this time, all Chinook Park students are welcome to attend classes at the South Dojo (Fitness Plus, Braeside):
- Tuesdays, 7:45-9 pm (all ages)
- Fridays, 6:45-8 pm (all ages), 8-9 pm (ASK kumite class)
- Sundays, 1-2 pm (all ages), 2-2:45 pm (ASK kata class)
We will notify students when the Chinook Park dojo will reopen.
On behalf of Sensei Chris and Sensei Kristie
Halloween Party – Sunday October 29
All ASK students are invited to attend a special Halloween Class on Sunday, October 29 from 1:00-2:30 pm at the Banzai South Dojo Location (Fitness Plus, 10401 Braeside Dr SW).
Students are encouraged to dress up in their favorite costume and come enjoy some games and treats. See you there!
All camp participants are encouraged to attend ASK sponsored karate classes offered on Friday, Aug 11 (7-9 pm) and Sunday, Aug 13 (1-2:30 pm) at Fitness Plus, 10401 Braeside Dr. SW.
Please try to arrive by 8:30 on Saturday to help with set-up.
Online Registration Form
Saturday, August 12, 8:30am-5:30pm
Calgary Jewish Community Centre (gymnasium)
1607 – 90th Avenue SW
The Association of Shotokan Karate invites you to attend our 16th Annual Summer Karate Camp featuring karate seminars by Senseis Chris Walker, Kristie Schafer, and Marc Ward. There will also be a self-defense class (by Sensei Marc) and “Yin and Tonic” (yin yoga with massage therapists) that can be attended by parents or family members.
9:15-10:00 Fitness conditioning
10:00-12:00 Karate Training
12:00-13:00 Lunch – Food eaten in the gym must be kosher to honour the CJCC’s regulations. Non-kosher lunches can be eaten outside in the park. There are also several food options at Glenmore Landing across the street.
13:00-14:00 Karate Training
14:00-15:15 Self-defense (parents can participate) or Karate Training
15:30-17:00 “Yin and Tonic” – Yin yoga with massage therapists (parents can participate)
17:00-17:30 Tear down
Registration fees (subsidized by the ASK):
ASK members: $40 (all classes and t-shirt, if registered by Aug 3)
Non-members: $60 (all classes and t-shirt, if registered by Aug 3)
Self-defense and/or Yin and Tonic class(es): $20
The deadline for registration payment to include a t-shirt is Thursday, August 3 (received online or in person at the Dalhousie Dojo). Note that participants registering after Aug 3 will not receive a t-shirt. Registrations will be accepted up until the day of the camp. Due to the costs associated with the event, registrations will be non-refundable after Aug 3.
Questions? Ask in class or contact us at email@example.com.
Save the Date!
16th Annual ASK Summer Camp
Saturday, August 12, 9am-5pm
Calgary Jewish Community Centre
1607 – 90th Avenue SW
Watch for the Registration Package coming out in July!
New! Meeting minutes, posted Jun 24:
2017 AGM MINUTES
The 2017 AGM will be held on Sunday, June 11, 2017 at the South Dojo (Fitness Plus, Braeside) at ~2:45 pm after the regular Sunday class. All adult ASK members and parents of members are encouraged to attend. We need a quorum of at least 7 voting members (adult members or parents of members).
2017 AGM Agenda
Thank you from the ASK Board of Directors.
New update! Events Order and Ring Locator:
ASK Shotokan Cup Schedule
- We are unable to provide a timed schedule for the events due to uncertainty in the number of competitors for each division.
Announcing the 4th Annual Calgary Open Shotokan Cup!
Saturday, April 22, 2017, 9am – 5pm
Henry Wise Wood High School
910 – 75 Ave SW, Calgary, Alberta
Karate-ka under 21 from all styles and belt levels are encouraged to compete and test their skills at this fun, youth-oriented tournament.
See the Tournament Package (linked below) for details and let Sensei Chris, Sensei Kristie, or Sensei Marc know if you’d like to compete.
Early Bird Registrations are due by April 18.
Calgary Shotokan Cup 2017 tournament package
We need volunteers to help set-up the mats at 7:30 am.
Any parents or students interested in volunteering to help organize, marshal competitors, scorekeep, or referee are encouraged to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2017 Registration – Due January 31
- Registration is required for all (new and current) ASK students and instructors
- Students transferring from Sensei Marc’s dojo are required to register in the portal, but registration payments already made to Sensei Marc will be honoured and no additional payment is required
- Up-to-date registration is required for participation in belt gradings and other events
- Thank you to everyone who has already registered!
Click here for the 2017 Registration Form
Practice Grading Class – Kyu Grading Syllabus – Sunday, Jan 29
- We will be doing a class focussed on the ASK Grading Syllabus starting at 1pm at the South Dojo
- The class will be led by Senpai Jake Pickering with support from other senior students
ASK Belt Gradings – Sunday, Feb 5
- Sunday, Feb 5, Registration starts at 12:30, South Dojo (Braeside)
- Please bring your grading books and $25 cash or cheque made out to A. S. Karate Council Alberta. Registration for the grading will take place between 12:30-1pm before the class.
- Kyu (colour belt) gradings will follow the ASK Grading Syllabus.